During last few weeks we have asked a list of storage vendors what are their predictions and vision of the market for the year coming.
We got interesting answers from 37 vendors and find out finally that their inputs are good extensions of previous ones meaning that these are real strong trends and industry directions.
Each participating company had to share a few predictions with some explanation to support the idea.
The final list is: Aptare, Caringo, Cloudian, Cohesity, Coraid, DataCore, Datrium, DDN Storage, DriveScale, Druva, E8 Storage, Hammerspace, Hedvig, HYCU, Igneous, Infinidat, Kaminario, Kaseya, Komprise, Minio, NetApp, Nexenta, Odaseva, Panasas, Portworx, Quantum, Qumulo, RStor, Rubrik, Scale Computing, StorCentric, StorONE, StrongBox Data, Vexata, WekaIO, Western Digital and Zerto.
We took time to analyze all these answers in order to try to discover any commonalities and strong topics and trends among all of them.
Here are the top 5 predictions based on this report:
- Cloud with multi-cloud, hybrid and of course the obvious presence of AWS, GCP and Azure,
- Data management with protection, compliance and governance with a special consideration for metadata,
- AI/ML with the ubiquity of GPU,
- NVMe, SSD, Flash, NAND and new Fabric,
- Software-Defined Storage (SDS) as a real trend of hardware and cloud independence and container integration.
Source: 2019 Storage Predictions